Friday, November 15, 2013

city slickers


So, I'm behind with blogging about it (ha! what else is new), but last week I ventured over to London Town to see the beautiful Babs in her not-so-new digs and hit the town and paint it red... or something. You know me, I'm not that exciting, really.

We did, however, make sure to see at least one piece of theatre while I was there. Two nights is not a lot of time to fit much in, and an early flight meant I was up for pretty much 24 hours the first day. I had the best intention of getting up for early/cheap tickets on Tuesday morning. I did, I promise. However, my annoying brain had other plans, and with the positively lyrical rain lulling me to sleep, we missed early tickets for pretty much every show on our list. 

Twas a happy accident. With some impressive theatrical sleuthing on Babs' part, we decided to see Roots by Arnold Wesker at the Donmar Warehouse. It was a wonderful night for many reasons...

one. You really can't go wrong with £7 tickets. Even standing, the show was spellbinding. 
two. It was a stunning show. I called it intellectual, Babs called it intelligent - the more I think about it, the more 'intelligent' seems to hit it on the head. It was cerebral and heartwarming, thoughtful and emotional, smart and authentic and grounded. 
three. Jessica Raine is a breath of fresh air. Watch her in Call the Midwife. She's a dream. 
four. Linda Bassett is immaculate. 
five. Dean Thomas from the Harry Potter films was there. I love London where, you know, that just happens on a Tuesday evening. 

The theatre itself is fantastic as well. I was happy to see it, as Coriolanus with Tom Hiddleston (eep!!) is opening next month there. I was keen to see the space in anticipation of coming back in the new year to ogle over T. Hid's Shakespearean prowess. It's small, verging on claustrophobic, but lofty. Perfect for Coriolanus. 

As usual, I didn't take a single picture. Sigh. Instead, salivate over this Coriolanus poster, courtesy of T. Hid's twitter.  



Drool. 

The National Theatre is screening a real-time broadcast of Coriolanus at the end of January for anyone who isn't within reasonable distance to attend in person. Which I am. Muah ha ha. 

Roots was bookended with awesome Mexican food, cups of tea and lots of wine. I love London.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

sparkle and wander | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012