Thursday, July 18, 2013

training.





It's the middle of July, which means only one thing: Dublin half-marathon is ten weeks away. Which means it's time to start training. 

This will be my first 13.1 mile'er, and I'll tell you I'm nervous enough. Training schedules can be a major aid is managing your time for you and guiding you through scheduled runs, cross training, intervals, tempo runs, LSD's and strength training. It can be a lot to manage, making sure you're hitting your distance when you need to and taper in time without burning out. 

I've decided to enlist the help of Runner's World training programs, hosted by Training Peaks. It sets up in calendar a ten-week training schedule, and lets me track everything I do, and even helps with my cross-training (which I suck at. s'true.)

I've never done more than a 10k race, so I'm stoked/nervous/apprehensive/want to find a way of running this race without eating gels. Seriously, they're icky. I think I might try the coffee with breakfast in the morning and running beans to boost my caffeine and carbs during the race. I can't eat what's essentially warm, extra-gloopy pudding packets half way through battling 13 miles. It's just not gonna happen.

First day of training was an easy (emphasis on the easy) 3 miles. Of course I ran at noon in the middle of 35 degree heat at 70% humidity. I figured it was good training... because, you know, Dublin in September is all hot and humid. Wouldn't want to be caught out. 

ps these are my new babies, aren't they beautiful!? The pink is even almost growing on me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

sparkle and wander | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012