Saturday, July 6, 2013

at its freshest.



We have this amazing cherry tree in our backyard. We planted it when the ground had barely gotten accustomed to the freshly laid sod. For the first ten years it bore no fruit, simply growing as a beautiful piece of our landscape. Then one year, as if out of nowhere .... cherry blossoms. Perfect, snowy white blossoms. And after that, of course, comes cherries. 

Normally we gather a bowlful before the birds come pick the tree clean. But this year there seems to be more than enough for birds and Carroll's alike. Every time I look out of the kitchen window I catch little robins hopping around the grass under the tree, picking up fruit as it falls from the boughs. Hopefully they won't look up anytime soon and strip the tree of all its cherry-goodness. 

I spent my morning with a coffee in my hand, nearly making myself sick on fresh cherries, warm from the the sun. 





Up next is cherry pie and cherry compote and maybe even cherry cobbler. 

Oh man. Seriously, does life get any better? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

sparkle and wander | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012